Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where All Roads Lead.... ROME

I went to where all roads lead... ROME!

When in Rome I saw the Colosseum.
The Colosseum was probably my favorite thing that I saw in Rome. It is amazing how big it is. It is so cool that people were able to build such amazing things back without the technology we have now.
I went inside the Colosseum.
This was super cool because Gladiators fought here. I love the movie Gladiator and Russel Crowe was in my mind the whole time I was at the Colosseum. There were sweet tunnels. It would have been cool to go and explore but that wasn't allowed. And it would been even cooler to play tag at night there. But I'm pretty sure that would be frowned on.

I saw Ancient Roman Ruins.
Everything was so big! And So OLD! I was amazed by all the things that the Romans had built. It truly was amazing.
I went to Vatican City.
Vatican City is such an amazing COUNTRY! It is the smallest country in the world. And it was so cool to be there during Easter time. There were so many people from all over the world who came to see and hear the Pope.
I went to the Vatican Museum.
The Vatican Museum was super cool. There were so many statues and artifacts and paintings and murals and just so much to see. It was awesome.
I saw the Sistine Chapel.
The Sistine Chapel blew me away. What you hear about the Sistine Chapel is true. IT IS AMAZING. If you ever have a chance to go. Jump on that opportunity, you wont regret it.
I went inside St. Peter's Basilica.
Without standing in line. :) THANK YOU Mom for sending the Rome book that gave me a secret that helped us get inside the Basilica without standing in line. WOOT WOOT!
The book told us to join a tour group on the way out of the Sistine Chapel. And they would lead you right into the Basilica without standing in line. So we did that. But we weren't very sneaky about it because without realizing it we had joined a tour guide group full of dark skinned dark haired people. Leisel and I stuck out like sore thumbs. We probably should have been smarter about that.....
I went to the dome of St. Peter's Basilica.
This was fun. It was great because it allowed me to better see inside of the dome. And I was able to get a view of all of Rome. It was great.
I saw the Trevi Fountain.
I made a wish and threw coins in the Trevi Fountain. (apparently so did the woman next to me.)
I went to the Spanish Steps.
It was crowded.
I went to Rome's biggest park. Villa Borghese.
There were a lot of cool statues there.
I saw the Pope! Pope Benedict XVI.
It was Good Friday and Leisel and I went to the Way of the Cross. It started at the Colosseum and that's where we say Pope Benedict XVI. It was very cool. It was really cool to see all the people from all over the world who had gathered there to watch the event.
I went to an Astronomy Museum. It was kind of out of date. Apparently there are still 9 Planets... Yay for Pluto!
I saw the Pantheon. It is one of the best preserved of all the Roman buildings.

I saw aqueducts. Cool.
I saw a really old bike. Who knows how long it has been chained there.
I ate delicious food! Pastries, Pasta, Pizza. The Amazing Triple P!

Rome was pretty much awesome. It is so hard to try and summarize everything that I saw and all the fun stories. But these are some of the pictures that were taken while Leisel and I were in Rome.

4 comments:

  1. love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love this post. Pope Benedict! Ahhhh so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Glad the book helped. Glad you had such a great time. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I tried to post a comment but I was accidentally on Joanna's account. Anyways Katie I love you and Rome and reading about your adventures! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete